Summer Semester 2009
Joint Summer School of the IUSSP and the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research (MPIDR)
Frontiers of Formal Demography
Organizers: Graziella Caselli (IUSSP), Heiner Maier (MPIDR)
2-10 June 2009 (eight lecture days, Sunday free)
Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany
Lecturers, topics and provisional schedule:
June 2-6 (Tuesday through Saturday):
- Shripad Tuljapurkar: Modeling Human and Animal Life Histories
- James Vaupel: Recent Advances in the Theory of Heterogeneity
- Elisabetta Barbi: Analysis of Mortality Surfaces
- Annette Baudisch: Biodemography
- Vladimir Canudas Romo: Decomposition Methods
June 8-10 (Monday through Wednesday):
- Hal Caswell: Matrix Population Models
- Griffith Feeney: Demographic Life Cycle Events: Time-Plotting and Tempo Effects
- German Rodriguez: Models of Fertility and Nuptiality
Recruitment of students:
- Applicants should either be enrolled in a PhD program (those well on their way to completion will be favored) or have received their PhD not more than 3 years ago.
- A maximum of 25 students will be admitted.
- The selection will be made by Max Plank Institute and IUSSP based on the applicants’ scientific qualifications.
How to apply:
- Applications must be sent to the MPIDR. All applications must be made by email. Begin your email message with a statement saying that you apply for the Joint IUSSP-MPIDR Summer School. You also need to include the following two documents, either in the text of the email or as attached documents. (1) A two-page curriculum vitae, including a list of your scholarly publications. (2) A one-page statement of your research and how it relates to the Joint IUSSP-MPIDR Summer School. Please indicate whether you will need financial support.
- Send your email to Heiner Maier: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application deadline is 28 February 2009. Late applications cannot be considered.
- The MPIDR will screen the applications and forward all applications and a selection of suitable candidates to the IUSSP by 15 March 2009
- The IUSSP will approve this list by 31 March 2009
- Applicants will be informed of their acceptance by 15 April 2009
The following institutions have awarded a total of 20 scholarships:
- IUSSP: 5 scholarships
- MPIDR: 10 scholarships
- INED: 5 scholarships
A scholarship is worth up to 1700 Euro. These scholarships will cover transportation costs plus daily expenses in Rostock – up to a maximum of 1700 Euro.
Program and Course Organization
The activity will normally be organised as following:
- Morning lectures: 9.00 - 12.00
- Break for exercises, local group discussions and readings
- Evening lectures and general discussion: 16.00 - 18.00
Program of the lectures
A detailed program will soon be announced.
[ Home | Courselist Summer Semester 2009]